Skip to Main Content

 Frequently Asked Questions 

What is available from the Field Services division?

Three risk management field consultants are located throughout North Carolina. To find your contact person, please see the Service Area map on the NCLM website for the list of Field Services staff, or call our office and ask for Bob Haynes or Brenda Rich.

In addition, the Field Services division includes two Member Services representatives who can assist you with any questions you may have regarding the insurance pools, the League or general questions about local government. A Human Resources consultant is also available to answer your questions in this highly specialized area. This service is available to any League member. 

How soon after an on-the-job accident do I need to let you know what happened?

We prefer you report any claim the same day of the incident. Delays in reporting may lead to longer recovery periods and more costly claims. Below are the claims contact Numbers.  However, if you can't report the claim on the day of the incident, we prefer that the claim be reported within five days, according to our loss control minimum standards. You should notify the appropriate Risk Management Services Claims unit within five days of any incident.

Filing a Claim - call as soon as the accident happens

Workers' Compensation Claims: 800-768-8600
Authorization for Medical Treatment: 800-768-8600

What do I do if one of my employees suffers an incident that may involve serious injury or death? Will you provide any on-site assistance in the investigation process?

We have a "Serious Incident Investigation Protocol" to ensure that our Field Staff will provide quick on-site assistance with your investigation process. Follow the simple three-step process shown. You may also print out this information for your records.

Can you conduct an OSHA Inspection for our town?

We are not experts in all of the OSHA standards and would not presume to overstep that authority. We will, however, conduct "hazard surveys" of your facilities to identify those areas of risk that may require attention, and we will provide assistance and guidance toward improving your overall safety program efforts.

Am I obliged to correct hazards that you may identify during your survey?

Our surveys may identify hazards or potential risks of loss. You will be provided with recommendations to address these hazards, based on best loss control practices and professional experience. We do request a response from you within 30 days as to the status of each recommendation and your "action plan" for completing them. Here is more information on our Field Services Program guidelines.

We need some training. Do you offer this?

Yes. We have a library of more than 35 safety training topics. These cover OSHA compliance issues, as well as general safety program activities. Most of our training programs are free to our members. We also offer online training services through SafetyCatch and no cost. Contact us for more information. 

I'm having a problem with the new OSHA log. Can you help?

You may want to first go to the Federal OSHA website and review the information about OSHA recordkeeping. Forms, information, and other pertinent topics are available to you. For on-site assistance, contact your Risk Management Field Services consultant or call our office.

How do I apply for soft body armor reimbursements?

Members of the Workers' Compensation program (units, not individuals) may apply for reimbursements of up to $250 per vest, or 50 percent, whichever is less. You must have a policy in place that requires soft body armor to be worn. For sample policies and more detailed information, call our office.