The North Carolina League of Municipalities: The benefits of membership
The League provides a broad array of services to assist municipal officials in effectively managing their municipal operations and uses a wide variety of resources to provide this service for its members including in-house staff, private consulting firms and endorsed vendors under contract with the League.
Advice and Consulting
- Answer members' questions concerning municipal practices, state laws and procedures, management policies, personnel practices and law, environmental and other municipal issues.
- Referrals to other organizations and agencies when appropriate.
- Contracts with private firms to provide consultative/contract services on matters that are specific or unique to each member and are considered long-term projects such as personnel studies, utility rates studies, privatization of municipal services, and more. Learn more about our contracting services.
Publications and Research
- Southern City
- League Letter
- Law Notes
- Legislative Bulletin
- Safety bulletins
- Wellthy and Wise
- Directory of N.C. Municipal Officials and Buyers' Guide
- Examples of research:
Annual salary survey; property tax rate and budget adjustment survey; annual salary adjustment survey; biennial benefits survey; water and sewer rates and practices survey; solid waste practices survey; analysis of potential effects of legislation on cities and towns.
Meetings and Training
- NCLM Annual Conference
- Town Hall Day
- Regional Meetings
- Risk Management Services training workshops
- Orientations for new mayors
- Essentials of Municipal Government
- Safety, loss control and risk management seminars
- Online safety courses
- Co-sponsorship of workshops
- Informational meetings on League services
Endorsed Vendor Services
The League has endorsed vendors to provide products and services that meet certain criteria and standards, including superior qualifications and an excellent record of service to municipalities. Vendors chosen for endorsement submit to the League's oversight for an added level of quality assurance to our members, offer their products or services at a competitive or reduced price, and pay the League a portion of their sales to cover the costs associated with the marketing and management of their endorsement.
Can't find what you need or have questions about any assistance the League can provide? E-mail Member Services with your specific request.